Friday, July 24, 2009

I wish I'd known

before I was a mother about the possibilities.  I became a teacher because I love kids an I love teaching kids.  But if I knew then, what I know now, I would have chosen a different career.  I am passionate about birth, about babies and about a beautiful start to life.  The foundation of everything else.  The bonding time with the mother so crucial to emotional development.  Because of this new found love :passion: even. I am beginning a journey.  I am certain it will take me several years, but I am determined to be educated as much as I can so that I can :help: new mama's through the most amazing transition every.

A few of my goals (which I am sure I will revisit often) are:
1. become a LLL leader.
2. become both a birth and postpartum doula
3. become a certified lactation consultant.
4. have a midwife assisted homebirth (after two births with complications there is NO way I would consider an unassisted birth.
5. become a Bradley Birth Class instructor.

This new career path I am looking toward is one for much later in my life...because now, now I am focused on the emotional well-being of my own family.  I will not be a doula until I can leave my family at any time day or night with or without their father home.  We are no where NEAR that point.  But, no sense in holding off on the education. 

So step one become a LLL leader.  Here we go. :)

1 comment:

  1. Alicia, I have looked into this also! I would absolutely love to become a lactation consultant, and maybe someday, but as you say, now is not the right time.
    Here is where all these thoughts have led me: Why is our generation coming back around to all of the natural ways of life, when "technology" has advanced us so "far"? Natural births, nursing, natural cleaners, natural foods, etc? Maybe technology isn't as great as we thought;) I'm beginning to feel that it has taken away our choices. And so, my path in life is about making my choices, regardless of the 'norm'. Its good to see you doing this too! love ya!

    ReplyDelete